Wednesday, February 9, 2022


 

Oh hey, me again.

Just had a biopsy of my thyroid, waiting for the results. Maybe I have a cancer trifecta--prostate, follicular lymphoma, and thyroid. We'll see. The odds are strongly in my favor for a benign result. It's just that my a nodule on my thyroid lit up on a PET scan last year. Thyroid nodules that are FDG-avid (the technical term for taking in a lot of tracer in the PET scan) are much more likely than average to be cancer. However, my ultrasound was only "mildly suspicious" for malignancy, which improves the outlook. If it is cancer, it is most likely thyroid cancer, not lymphoma or prostate cancer.

I'm going to have a standard, non-ultrasensitive PSA next week to see where I stand there. On a couple of ultrasensitive tests over the past 2 years, it looked like my PSA might be rising, 15 years after successful treatment. So that will be interesting. I'll also have some blood tests related to follicular lymphoma, just to make sure that's staying indolent (quiet). Follicular lymphoma is not curable, but most patients live many years, even decades, with it, in the same way that people live with any chronic disease.

Anyway, more to report in the coming days and weeks.

UPDATE: the afternoon of this posting I got my thyroid biopsy results back--negative for malignancy. BTW, the biopsy wasn't bad at all, done under a local anesthetic.

No comments: