Friday, August 1, 2008

Life is good on the Beach

I've lost 15 lbs. now in one month on the South Beach Diet. 30 minutes on the treadmill each day accelerates the disappearance of my belly.
South Beach also is easy on my digestive system--heartburn is very rare, and so is gas and bloating, which has been a continuing problem since radiation.
As I lose weight, I have more energy for the treadmill and for being active, and the more active, the faster I burn fat. It's a nice feedback loop.
Had blood drawn this morning for a total metabolic panel (main concern is cholesterol). Waiting room had a TV blasting, and if you don't think obesity is an epidemic in this country, you don't get out enough. Heavy people seem to be especially concentrated in places like labs, I guess because of the health issues related to weight. The chairs were barely able to hold some of these folks.
I think the country is on the verge of a health emergency from obesity. I can sympathize--a couple of months ago I was at the top end of "overweight" and heading quickly towards "obese" as defined by body mass index.
My first marathon training session will be in 3 weeks. I'm accumulating the gear now, like WrightSock running socks that are supposed to help prevent blisters.

No comments: